I've already published my second assignment in 3-D design fundamentals, Project XYZ, so let's back up a bit. Our very first assignment (which I didn't initially post since it didn't seem like a major one) was a representation of "order" and "chaos" and the connection between them, in string.
Order. From Middle English ordre, from Old French ordre, ordne, ordene (“order, rank”), from Latin ōrdinem, accusative of ōrdō (“row, rank, regular arrangement”, literally “row of threads in a loom”), from Proto-Italic *ored(h)- (“to arrange”), of unknown origin.
Chaos. Borrowed from Ancient Greek χάος (kháos, “vast chasm, void”).
In Greek mythology, everything arose from the
primordial chaos. Thus the basic concept here is that order is made
from chaos through action (as Death has said, "THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE.").
On the other hand, order is inevitably destroyed through entropy, thus
the string leads from chaos to order and back to chaos.
For this assignment, obviously the result was going to be very abstract. If I'd had more time, I'd have used a lot more string and glue to make "chaos" more three-dimensional, and a thinner frame for "order" so there'd be more emphasis on the string and not the wood, also tried to make it actually look like a loom and not just evocative of one (though as built, it was effective enough; several people told me they thought at first that it was an actual miniature loom).
The third assignment (after Project XYZ) was for a word or letter in 3D form.
En arche en ho Logos, kai ho Logos en pros ton Theon, kai Theos en ho Logos. - John 1:1
I wanted the image to look imposing and eternal - which is ironic, because this heavily recycled terracotta crumbles easily. You can't really see it because of the angle, but the base bowed up in the middle dramatically as it dried. On the right near the bottom is the protruding butt of a bamboo skewer I used to reinforce the base, revealed as the clay shrank while drying.
Our third assignment was for a polyhedron made of flat material.
Technically this is a truncated hexagonal pyramid, in 0.005-inch sheet brass. I chose a relatively simple shape because the embossing (done with a dried-up ballpoint pen) is very time-consuming. The shape is closed with silver solder, which practically ruined the flawless burnished finish I'd given it before folding. I managed to correct it somewhat, but it's still rather ugly.
We've had only one assignment in sculpture, a piece on "community and identity" done at least partly with casting.